INALI DANCERS

events and news of the Inali Dancers, an intertribal native dancing, singing, and culture group in western illinois

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

sometimes working together works

I just learned about something that made me feel good. It seems people can put aside their differences sometimes. Many people know how the whole problem of native remains has become a flash point across the nation, and NAGPRA, which was supposed to settle things, has sometimes led to worse conflicts. Well, recently a small, private ceremony was held at Mesa Verde national park, and a large number of remains from across the region were laid to rest. I don't know the details, and wouldn't talk about them if I did, but I do know that archaeologists, the government, and various tribes, including Hopi, Navajo, and Ute, overcame their conflicts of interest to see that the right thing was done.
I hope this is a good sign, especially after the mess over kenniwik man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home