INALI DANCERS

events and news of the Inali Dancers, an intertribal native dancing, singing, and culture group in western illinois

Thursday, July 27, 2006

what 'powwow' means

Still slow. We have the Viola celebration this saturday, about noon at Brenda's house. Apparently the parade is 11 to 12 , so we might not start till later. The women's prison powwow is the next saturday, about 11 or 11:15. Just a note, we may cancel the next friday practice. We are not sure yet, so check later.
I know there is a powwow somewhere this weekend, but I forget where. I will try to find out, or Jerry knows where it is. Also, the Masqotan society powwow ( I am not sure of the spelling) is August 18-20 at Belvidere, at the county fairgrounds. I will try to find out about other powwows coming up.
A while ago some of were talking about where the term "powwow" came from. This is what I found so far:

Some say the word "Powwow" comes from the Algonquian word 'pawauogs' [paw - woog] referring to shamanic practices and healing ceremonies. The word was co-opted by traveling medicine shows and elaborate Wild West shows but, eventually became the name for the annual dance celebrations held across Indian country.

If I find more I will put it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home