INALI DANCERS

events and news of the Inali Dancers, an intertribal native dancing, singing, and culture group in western illinois

Thursday, March 23, 2006

We had a great prison powwow saturday! The turnout was great, and quite a few guys stayed for a lot of the 3 hours. We took the big drum in, and as it turned out we needed it. Their singers often joined us for songs, and really seemed to enjoy it. A number of people danced at least some of the time, and during one round dance a lot of people were out dancing. They took a break for pictures and included us in them (the second time, we really felt honored), and after the smoke break a number of people left, but quite a few stayed for the whole time. The last few songs all the singers and others too joined at the big drum. I think someone said we had THIRTEEN men around the drum. We finished with all of us joining in on the freedom song. It was really moving.
We also had a great practice friday, we were very strong and up. Cody and his family were back, and I hope they all keep coming. Cody is a natural at the drum, I don't think I've ever seen anyone pick it up so fast, and his sister(I'm sorry, this is terrible but I forgot her name) would be a great shawl dancer. We really need more young people or we will fade away.
We had cake and ice cream for Ellen's birthday. I forgot to mention that th guys at the prison remembered her birthday and sang a birthday song for her.
Believe it or not, we don't have anything but practice scheduled for April, but I will try to find some things to talk about. Starting in May, things will get lively again!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The prison powwow was great. I especially liked it when everyone was around the drum.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home