INALI DANCERS

events and news of the Inali Dancers, an intertribal native dancing, singing, and culture group in western illinois

Thursday, October 12, 2006

HAPPY INDIGENEOUS PEOPLE'S DAY

At least that's what some people want, making the same day as Columbus day a celebration of native cultures around the world. I like the idea, but I'm not sure about the date. After all, Columbus, though a great explorer and navigator, was terrible to the indians he found. Everything from stealing and slavery to outright murder. H went so far that he got in trouble with the Spanish crown over it, and how many spanish conquerors managed that. I know the idea is to turn a negative thing into a positive celebration, with a little irony thrown in, but I can't help thinking there must be a better date somewhere.
I had a great time on my weekend trip, and found time to visit Cahokia Mounds. Every time I go there I am awed. Some people still call indian cultures primitive! I got some good pictures, I'll try to share some of them.
Don't forget Mt. Pisgah this saturday at 10:30 or so, no practice this friday, and the picnic at Dinah's the 28th, at noon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home